Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Asparagus Pesto

I really, really, really like asparagus. My boyfriend does not. Fortunately, one way he will eat the delicious spring green is in pesto form. Yum! I'm totally okay with this because pesto is super easy to make, and I love easy!

First, break off the ends of the stalks and boil the asparagus until it is tender. I check this by placing a test piece of asparagus on the cutting board and then holding a sharp knife so that the tip is touching the stalk. If the knife sinks into the stalk, then it's done. The boiling process takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.
Once the asparagus is ready, drain and set aside to cool. Then grab a few cloves of garlic (depending on how much asparagus you are using and how much you like garlic... I used a little over a pound of asparagus and 4 cloves of garlic. It was a little too much garlic.), grate a bunch of parmesan, and gather your nuts of choice (I used a mix of walnuts and almonds because that's what I had). Dump the asparagus, garlic, cheese, and nuts into a blender. Add a liberal amount of olive oil. Blend. Taste. Add salt and pepper if you wish. Blend some more. YUM.

You're welcome.

No comments: