Monday, January 31, 2011

Cheesy Potato Quiche

I love breakfast for dinner. I also love breakfast for breakfast and breakfast for lunch. Basically breakfast anytime is good for me.
This weekend I felt inspired to make a meal, but I really hate standing over the stove for an hour (or more). I'd much rather throw some stuff together, stick it in the oven, and DING! Dinner time. I realize I could create a pretty delicious and quick meal by purchasing boxed or frozen stuff, but the preservatives and crap found in those things freak me out. I'm lazy, but I'm not so lazy I can't chop some fresh veggies and put some love into the meal.

So I made a quiche! It turned out really, really delicious! I was so happy with the flavorful result that I decided to share the recipe(s) with the Internet world. Which, in retrospect seems a little ironic since I got the recipes from the Internet in the first place.... Anyway, here you go!

For the crust:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup refrigerated water
First, mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Then beat the oil and water together with a fork to thicken; pour into the bowl with the flour. Mix a bit with the fork, and then I usually squish the stuff around a bit with my hands until it's even. Press dough into 9" pie pan. Set aside.

For the filling:
  • 3 medium potatoes, sliced or diced
  • 1 tablespoon veggie oil (I used canola)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4-ish cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • fresh rosemary
Preheat oven to 375* F. Boil potatoes until tender; drain. Here you could pre-bake your pie crust for about 5 minutes, but when I did this the crust came out a little tough. Heat the oil in a skillet over med-high heat, and add the garlic and onion. Cook until garlic and onion are slightly browned. In a bowl, mix well the eggs, milk, cheese, garlic, onion, salt, pepper and rosemary. Add the potatoes to the crust (try to make the distribution even). Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes, and cook until set. This took about 40 minutes.

There you have it! Yummy breakfast for dinner! (or breakfast or lunch...)

1 comment:

bakedbyjen said...

I love breakfast anytime too! I never had a quiche before but I might have to start with this one as it has all my favorites - eggs, cheese, and potatoes. Thanks for sharing.